Friday, March 23, 2012

Oldie Goldies!

By Anant Mathur (March 23, 2012)

Occasionally, I like to inform my readers about new bands or songs which are unique or they may not have heard of. Today is one such day. Below is a list of some old songs which I love and I think you will enjoy, so have a listen and tell me what you think by posting a comment.

George Formby:
Chances are you've probably never heard of this guy. Born in England, in 1904, Formby was a major stage and screen star in the 1930s and 1940s. He sang light, comical songs, accompanying himself on the banjo ukulele or banjolele. Here are some of his songs:


Carmen Miranda:
Carmen Miranda was a Portuguese-born Brazilian samba singer, Broadway actress and Hollywood film star popular in the 1940s and 1950s. She was, by some accounts, the highest-earning woman in the United States and noted for her signature fruit hat outfit she wore in the 1943 movie The Gang's All Here. Her song I, Yi, Yi, Yi (I Like You Very Much) was covered by Alvin and the Chipmunks along with "Cunato Le Gusta" for their 1987 film The Chipmunk Adventure and its soundtrack.


Charlie Kunz:
Kunz was an American-born British musician. Born in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 1896, he made his debut aged six. During World War I he led his own resident band, while working in a munitions factory. He came to England in 1922 as a pianist in a small dance band. His debut as a soloist came in 1934 at the Holborn Empire.

No comments: